Ruth's Reviews > Greyhound

Greyhound by Steffan Piper

Feb 09, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from February 07 to 09, 2011

I came across this book thanks to a Goodreads giveaway, and I'm so glad that I did. It's a mix of road-trip/coming of age story, and it's one that I read very happily over the course of the last few days. I'm reading quite a few books at the same time at the moment - nothing new there - but I looked forward to picking this one up each time.
The main character, eleven year old Sebastien, is really well crafted, and this is the story of his road trip across America by Greyhound bus. I was surprised to see that the author says the bulk of the story is true, since some pretty unusual things happen to Sebastien on the trip...no spoilers here - I'll just say that it reads like the plot of an Indie movie. A good Indie movie, with lovely 'golden hour' shots of nowhere towns in America. I liked the pace of the whole novel, the fact that there were tense moments, disturbing moments, yet all the time I still felt quite safe. That feeling that everything would work out alright in the end. And sometimes that's just the sort of feeling you want to have when you're reading a book.
It made travelling by Greyhound bus sound both disgustingly horrible and intriguingly romantic at the same time. I was rooting for Sebastien the whole time, I loved all the friends he made along the way, especially Marcus, and the ending was just about perfect.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greyhound.