Helen's Reviews > Muhammad: A Prophet for Our Time

Muhammad by Karen Armstrong

Feb 03, 08

Read in December, 2007

I learned a lot from Karen Armstrong's portrait of the prophet (not profit!)Muhammad and it gave me a lot of things to consider. The book is definitely written for Western Jews or Christians who may be distrustful of Islam, particularly its relationship with Judaism or Christianity. Armstrong explains the life of Muhammad with particular emphasis on his culture and continuing the line of prophets from Abraham through Jesus. To balance out her views, though, I'd like to read something about Muhammad that came from more of an Islamic perspective and not so focused on making Muhammad understandable to Christians or the West.

She also pulled some beautiful lines from the Quran and from other accounts- I was very moved by some of the accounts of people turning to Islam.

Recommended as an introduction to the prophet, especially if you are curious about Islam and its relationship with the other "Ahl el Kitaab" or People of the Book (Jews/Christians).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Muhammad.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Salma You should check out Martin Lings's book :)) He's a muslim convert who also wrote a biography (Annnd I just realized you wrote this review 5 years ago so probably way too late for a response..)