Sandra's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Jan 31, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, in-english, series-not-completely-read, e-books, read-in-2011
Read from July 25 to 27, 2011

Wow, what a ride this one was! The Lost Hero is a follow-up to the Percy Jackson series, and I must admit, at first I was skeptical. But I need not have worried, because Rick Riordan is in brilliant form - as always. This book really expands the world built in Percy Jackson, while still staying true to the mythology. We are also introduced to new heroes, who in turn shed a bit more light on Gods and Goddesses that have been slightly overlooked in the first five books. In addition our favourite heroes from the first five books return, such as Annabeth.

As always, I'm awed by Rick Riordan's knowledge of the mythology. I've studied the mythology for 6 years, which is why I recognize nearly everything mentioned in the books, but he still manages to tell me new things and he also manages to surprise me with his retellings. They stay true to the mythology, but it's still a retelling and his twists are brilliant.

Another thing I like really is the humour. Rick Riordan has a fun and appealing writing style: the story moves fast and there are a lot of jokes. Sometimes it's downright silly. But I think that's the charm of the book: it finds the exactly right balance between 'fact' and fun and it simply makes for a wonderful story.

And something else that I appreciate very much: Rick Riordan writes awesome, kick ass female leads. We need more of these women in (the ya) literature.

All in all, I will definitely be reading the next series. I can't wait!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

07/25/2011
31.0% ""Respect this kid or eat voltage!""
show 2 hidden updates…

Sally Eee!! Now I really want to read it :) I admit I was a little skeptical too, for some reason!

Sandra I was skeptical because I'd loved PJ so much, and I didn't want this to disappoint, but it really doesn't! Hope you'll get to read it soon! :)

Sally It's high on my list of stuff to get next :D

Sandra Good ;) Book 2 is out on October 4th ;D