Andres Mendieta's Reviews > Tales of the City

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

M 50x66
Jan 31, 11

Read in December, 2010

I have a bias toward San Francisco. I think it the greatest city in the world. Although I haven't been to many of the great ones. So when I was assigned a book regarding San Francisco in the 70s, I was interested. As my book cover says, this book is indeed a 'love letter' to SF. The book shows that the city by the bay is one like none other. The characters in the book, some new to the city, are free in the city. They aren't prosecuted, aren't frowned upon by their peers, or cast out to dry by society. The book revolves around characters that live under one roof, and are far from perfect. Most of them have commitment issues. But no matter what really happens, they always find tranquility under the same roof in the city that supports them. The book was originally written in a daily format. It was published daily in the San Francisco Chronicle for some time. The interesting thing about that is it makes the read much easier. There are no chapters, but breaks every 3-5 pages. So unlike most books, finding a place to stop reading is only 3 minutes away. What keeps it from a 5 star, for me, it that its really one long dry drama. While I love my dramas, its very drawn out. Since its written daily it is written at a very slow pace. I love me action-adventure themed media, and I think that got in the way of a better score. It was also a book required for school, so I couldn't read it at my own pace. I'm pretty picky about those kinds of things. I find reviews very difficult to be bias free, we all have biases. Don't let my review bother anyone. Tts a recommend to anyone from the city or interested in it, or is maybe sick of too many New York stories.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of the City.