Fani loves angst's Reviews > When Beauty Tamed the Beast

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

If you like Dr House in TV, you'll probably enjoy this book too. The hero is exactly like House, the same aching leg and dry wit that drives some people insane and some women like flies to honey:) I belong to the second group because honestly I think there is nothing sexier than a man with brains, provided that he's not only using his wits to laugh at others, but also to laugh at himself.

I also liked the heroine a lot. Linnet was as sarcastic and intelligent as House Piers himself, thus resulting in many humorous dialogues that had me laughing out loud all the time. And then, as the end neared the tone of the book changed. It became more emotional, angsty even, as misunderstandings and self-denials threatened to tear those two apart. I understand why many people didn't like this turn of events, but being a lover of angsty romances mostly, it only made me appreciate the book more.

I definitely think the hype about this book is worth it after all:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Beauty Tamed the Beast.

02/14/2011
50.0% "Loving it so far!" 2 comments
02/15/2011
80.0% "I guess I know why many people weren't thrilled at this point, but being a sucker for angst, conflicts and misunderstandings, my love for it still goes strong:)" 10 comments

seton So glad you finally found a EJ you liked, Fani.

Fani loves angst Yes, it seems finally I have found a winner:) It's strange, because I loved her writing style in the two books I've read of hers (Midnight Pleasures & Potent Pleasures) but had big issues with the protagonists/plots. Had I not liked her writing so much, I would never have given her a third chance. At last I can complain for nothing; neither writing, nor plot or protagonists.

Rane I adore House Piers, some of the comebacks and banter, we're so awesome

AgentScully Fab review Fani!

Fani loves angst Thanks Scully!

Fani loves angst Rane wrote: "I adore House Piers, some of the comebacks and banter, we're so awesome"

I agree Rane. Can't hate such a witty man!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Oh, Fani, you make me so happy I bought this book today. I think House is uber-sexy. I love a brilliant man. Do you watch The Mentalist with Simon Baker? You'd probably enjoy that. He's brilliant in the way of House and Sherlock Holmes. Great review!

Fani loves angst Thanks Danielle!
I've seen ads of the Mentalist but haven't watched it yet. Worse, I think it's scheduled at 24.00 and that's when I'm almost always asleep. But I will consider writing in in the VCR (yes I still have one of those!) now that you mention it. I love House and I love Sherlock too so that sounds very promising:)

I believe you'll love the book; it's even more up your alley than mine. Enjoy!

Wicked Incognito Now I agree that the book as a whole was so great that the small bit of angst at the end was just negligibly disappointing--it didn't detract from the book at all (IMO!).

Those other EJ books you mentioned are her earliest books, so not at all as good as her later ones. Definitely read the Desperate Duchesses series. It's excellent.

message 10: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani loves angst I will now; I was quite impressed with this book and her style has always worked for me, so it's a must!

Quinn Nice review, Fani. It seems everyone has been reading this book! Good to know that the hype is worth it!

message 12: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani loves angst Yes, it was amazing how many people were reading this at the same time:) For me at least it was worth it; you'll have to see for yourself! I think that in my case, it was the witty dialogues that made it a favorite.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, Fani!

message 14: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani loves angst Thanks Dhestiny! It was a great book and I'm glad you liked it too:)

message 15: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 16: by Chester (new) - added it

Chester Because you mentioned House, I'm def read this!

message 17: by Jadira (last edited Jan 15, 2017 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jadira You had me at Dr. House!