Styles's Reviews > Shadowfever

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Jan 30, 11

I presume you know what the book is about. I'm letting you know what I liked or disliked about it.

I started this book on Friday, 1/26 - finished in the wee hours of Sunday morning. I can't believe how fast I blew through this series and let me just say that it's a damn good thing I didn't start it until it was "complete" because serious? I just don't know how I could have waited between releases. Now. That is the sign of a great series!

These books were seriously dark, the pace was okay - compelling, enthralling, pleasantly addicting. I hope that isn't too redundant...

For the second time EVER I actually had to scan the last part of the book before I finished it to see how it ended. I can't believe it, but I did. I was continually surprised at how harshly the characters treated Mac. How little support she was given, how desperately she was on her own. During ShadowFever I seriously wondered if this was going to end differently than I'd hoped. Barron's was so mean to Mac at times. So harsh. Then like I said about a 3rd of the way through I couldn't wait to find out.

Once calmed I went back to where I was and read very slowly. I'm glad to because there were some equally intense plot line threads that I had trouble following.

Anyway -

Bottom line... I really liked this dark, intense series. Holy Shit! :)

Do you really think the story is done? No more books in the series? The ending reads, "The end.... for now...." I mean what about Dani? What about Christian? What about the 8? I mean good lord I have sooooo many questions. So much I still want to know. Deep sigh. Also the characteristics of a great series.

If I could look in the eyes of my sisters and brothers "in reading" that liked this series... I'd just have to say, "How COOL was that?" We'd all nod in knowing and understanding - zall I can say (sound familiar?)

Now - do I recommend it? hmmmmm I'd mention the series and caution anyone to consider the extent of how dark the books really are. I seldom squirm but there were a few times I simply couldn't reconcile the darkness of a scene. I do wish there was a more equal balance of happiness and light to dark and darker. I'd really have enjoyed reading more of "Happy Mac".

Oh - and no mention of Barron's wife or the mother of his son. If there was reference I missed it. I'd have liked to known more of that piece to the story.

Okay - anyway a long review but it's all 5 books in one.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo glad I read this - excellent!

Thank you Ms. Moning and everyone involved in releasing these books. Job well-done!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.