Richard Thompson's Reviews > The Hunger Games

M_50x66
Oct 06, 14

bookshelves: best1011, read-alouds, bumplibrary, bestalltime
Read in January, 2011

I became aware of this series when MOCKINGJAY, the third title in the trilogy was prominently highlighted in the Goodreads poll of Best Books of 2010. I checked THE HUNGER GAMES out of the library and read the first few pages aloud to Maggee. We were hooked immediately. There was a long reserve list at the library so we purchased our own copy of CATCHING FIRE, but we were able to borrow MOCKINGJAY. A few things didn't quite work, the geographical organization of Panem (North America in some distant future) being the big one, but once we decided not to quibble about that, the characters and plot elements were believable and compelling. Lots of meat for the discussion of issues: power and politics, the role of fashion and mass entertainment in society, the balance between personal freedoms and convictions and the needs of society as a whole.

(note: MemoryWalk and MemeTracker added August 1, 2013
2,3,4.MemoryWalk: We open the door to the 2Plex and there on the landing two young men in hockey jerseys are cooking something in a skillet over an open fire. "Come on man! After that game I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!" Suddenly the grease in the skillet bursts into a flame. The young man holding the skillet curses and jumps away from the fire. A blue bird perched on railing at the top of the stairs starts to laugh and call our in a mocking voice: "What a pair of losers!" And then the smoke detector goes off.

MemeTracker > THE HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY by Suzanne Collins > Mockingjay > Goodreads poll of Best Books of 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.