Rafe Sacks's Reviews > Dies the Fire

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling

M 50x66
Jan 30, 11

Read in January, 2008 — I own a copy

This would be around 3.5 stars for the storytelling and general writing but the concept and the way it explores 'what-if's and various cultural structures made this memorable for me. I've read this series, as well as most of the next one, and all I can say is it has really stuck with me. I thoroughly enjoyed the intellectual exercises these books spark. Survival with the absence of technology: who succeeds and who fails. How legends are born, how the believe systems of future generations are born from small twists of fate.

There are times where I couldn't put these books down but be prepared for sections which can crawl in places. I've spoken with plenty of people who say the same of Lord of the Rings, and while I wouldn't compare this to that, I do enjoy the moments where things are explored simply because there are part of the journey.

If you enjoy a new twist on fantasy with a bit of plausible reality in a fantastical situation, then it is worth the read. This IS more for the fantasy fan than the sci-fi fan though.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dies the Fire.