KJ's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Feb 06, 2008

liked it
Read in February, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This is an enjoyable story with excellent characters. The characters are by far the strongest aspect of the book. Too much of the action and dialogue was described indirectly for my taste (the narrator telling us what's happening or what's being said, rather than us getting to see or hear it), but this was the only significant distraction from the story, which kept me really engaged. It's hard to say much more without significant spoilers, so if you don't want to know, you should skip the rest of this review.

This book is the story of Gen, a skilled thief whose reckless bragging lends him in prison, until by a stroke of luck the king's magus happens to need something very valuable and well-guarded to be stolen. Or is it? Gen is the very picture of an unreliable narrator, and it quickly becomes clear that there is a lot he's not telling you -- not just about the backstory, but about what's actually happening during the action. Naturally this leads to a number of stunning plot twists, but I can't decide whether to be impressed by the clever storytelling trick or to be annoyed at being duped.

That said, I do recommend the book, and I expect I will read the sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.