Medeia Sharif's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Jan 30, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in January, 2011

Mary exists in a world of confinement. She's in a fenced-in town of a few hundred people. Beyond the fences are the Unconsecrated, i.e. zombies. After both her parents become Unconsecrated, banished to the Forest of Hands and Teeth, Mary drifts. She doesn't fit in with the sisters in the Cathedral and the man she's in love with is betrothed to another. When her town is under attack, Mary is thrown into a situation of leaving the only home she's known and going after what's in her heart. She and her loved ones are in great jeopardy as they go deeper into the Forest to find sanctuary. The Unconsecrated surround them, ready to infect them, and every minute is a fight for survival.

The novel has a wonderful, creepy atmosphere. The post-apocalyptic world of simple living without technology is believable. The characters are well-written. I could feel Mary's longing, how much she wants Travis and how she desires to see the mythical ocean, which she hasn't experienced since she's always been in her landlocked town. I look forward to reading the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Bryson I keep thinking I need to read this...bc of your review I'm moving it up on the list. Thanks Madeia!

Medeia Sharif The beginning was slow, but then it became fast and addictive.