Milly's Reviews > Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Jul 10, 2011

bookshelves: aussie, aussie-book-tour, aussie-reading-challenge, award-winning, crushing-on-male-protagonist, alternating-pov, contemporary-fiction, feel-good, favorite-ya, young-adult, teen-romance, a-must-buy
Recommended to Milly by: Nomes, Nic
Recommended for: all my Booker friends, fans of Aussie young adult authors like Melina Marchetta, everyone
Read from June 29 to July 06, 2011 , read count: once but i'd read it again and again

Aussie Reading Challenge #3

I hear everything he's ever painted in his voice. I hear that person on the beach, looking at the waves. I hear hearts rocked by earthquakes and disappointed seas. I make myself look at him because he needs to be looked at. He needs to be seen. I hate that he's been on his own for so long, painting graffiti moons and bricked-in-birds and keeping quiet about who he really is.

I heart this book. I heart it because of Ed, the male protagonist of this book. I feel that though it's of alternating voices, I think Graffiti Moon is truly more about Ed. Even Lucy's voice, the alternating point of view in this book, talks about Ed mostly. I think IMO Ed makes this book and thanks to Cath Crowley for creating him. She's a wonderful writer, writing the book as if it sings to you. As if Ed's reaching out to you for help.

I think if you enjoyed the likes of Saving Francesca by Merlina Marchetta or Good Oil by Laura Buzo and is a big fan of Aussie goodness, then you'll love Graffiti Moon as well. It is one of my favorite 2011 reads from Down Under! Fortunately, Nic (irresistiblereads.blogspot.com) and Missie (theunreadreader.com) hosted and started the Aussie Reading Challenge and Book Tour for these unobtainable Aussie books so we U.S. residents could also enjoy these treasures that aren't available for sale in the U.S. at this time.

Graffiti Moon starts with the story of Lucy and her friends celebrating their last day of Year 12. They are determined to party into the wee hours of the morning and celebrate the end of high school. Lucy however is more concerned about finding the elusive graffiti artist, Shadow, whom she's been pining about and imagining to be her Mr. Perfect and her first boyfriend. As she starts the festivities with her girlfriends, Lucy encounters Ed and his friends and somehow all end up in search of Shadow and his partner in crime, Poet, who accompanies Shadow's graffiti with poetry. As Lucy spends more time with Ed looking for Shadow, Lucy begins to question her feelings for Shadow, a guy she's never met and is only a pigment of her ideal notions of her perfect guy. Their night together becomes a journey of growing up, of finding oneself, and how each of them fit into each others' lives. A revelation of revelations.

I love the idea of Ed. He's a conflicted and an imperfect young man with a good heart ready to put others first like his Mom and best friend Leo, before his own future. He's scared and he's lost and has the worse confidence in the world. He thinks he's dumb because he can't read or write well enough to put together an essay and therefore doesn't deserve to be with a smart and beautiful girl because he can't provide her a future. All this time Ed's felt like a failure when all the while it's been everybody else who's failed him. His mother can't find a job that'll pay for rent. His school let him fall through the cracks and not provide him the help he needed to be successful in school. He is not dumb, he's learning disabled and poor. It pained me to read about his story and I just wanted to hug him and help him and tell him that everything's going to be all right. And all he wanted was a break. A job. A chance to go to college. A girlfriend who'll accept him as he is. He's put his heart and soul into his artwork because he didn't have the words to say how he felt. He pulled at my heart strings every step of the way.

'In your head, Shadow was this great person and I'm nothing.' Her eyes keep pinning me down. 'I can barely even read.'

Then there's Lucy, our idealistic and intelligent 17-year old girl who's in love with the idea of love and falling for someone like Shadow, a fellow artist. She's been in search of her perfect guy who wouldn't grope her but would sit down with her and have meaningful conversations about art. Ideal love, blah, blah, blah. But I love her character because she's smart and spunky and could beat up a boy to defend herself! Hmmm...she reminds me of someone...like me.

And if you're liking what you're reading so far, you'd enjoy and will be entertained by the rest of the cast. Just like in Saving Francesca and The Piper's Son , this book is also teeming with savory secondary characters that it'll keep you glued to the pages. I personally liked Leo and his penchant for poetry and how he made this book look beautiful and lyrical with his poetry. I also found Daisy's character appealing especially with her tough personality. I thought she was quite funny especially when she put her boyfriend, Dylan, in his place. And then there's Bert, Ed's Yoda and mentor. I liked how he was there to guide Ed to be his voice of reason, to give him the push he needed and the opportunity he never ever gets. Jazz was fun too, the psychic wannabe best friend of Lucy, as well as Lucy's parents and Al. Cath Crowley, just like Melina Marchetta, made these secondary characters stand out and color these pages with their grit and personalities making this book fun and real and relevant.

If you are looking for a quick comfort read, Graffiti Moon's it. Ed made me cry and Lucy made me hope. It's a book you could definitely hug in the end. I highly recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graffiti Moon.

06/29/2011 "#3 Aussie Challenge."

Wendy Darling I have this waiting TBR, too. :)

Milly How did u get the book?

Nomes this book is SUCH a 5 star book <3

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic What Nomes said ^^

Milly I adored it! Definitely 5 stars! I loved it as much as I loved Marchetta's books! Another rockin' Aussie!!!

Emily I can't believe I haven't read this yet. Definitely getting it from my library soon! Great review :)

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Beautiful review Milly. Have you read A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley?

Arlene I'm reading this book after our group read, so I'm coming back to this review. Your five stars have me excited though. :) Glad you enjoyed it Milly!

Milly Emily wrote: "I can't believe I haven't read this yet. Definitely getting it from my library soon! Great review :)"

Thanks Emily! I know. How could you not? I had to wait for a book tour to enjoy this gem!

Milly Nic wrote: "Beautiful review Milly. Have you read A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley?"

Milly Arlene wrote: "I'm reading this book after our group read, so I'm coming back to this review. Your five stars have me excited though. :) Glad you enjoyed it Milly!"

Oh I hope you'll like it Arlene! I just loved it. But then again, I'm hopeless when it comes to guys like Ed. :)

Milly Wendy Darling wrote: "I have this waiting TBR, too. :)"

Milly wrote: "Nic wrote: "Beautiful review Milly. Have you read A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley?"

Not yet but it's on my TBR. If it's anything like Graffiti Moon, I'm definitely reading it! Is it?"

You should definitely read it M!