Danielle's Reviews > Good Night, Mr. Tom

Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian

Feb 01, 11

Read in January, 2011

I am not sure where to even begin with this review. First of all, I'll say I loved it. The writing reminds me somewhat of Anne of Green Gables. So, I expected that after the brief intro about Will's hard life before coming to the countryside, that the rest of the book would have the same style and feel as Anne books. William would settle in and have a happy ending. I was really expecting a boy version of Anne. One with sweet stories of simple country life full of laughter, school, and friends. And it does have all of that. I expected a story set during WWII, but one that touched briefly on the issues. This is where I was wrong. This novel deals directly with the issues facing the evacuation of children during WWII in England. (And has anyone ever read a happy WWII novel)? It is the kind of book that I loved before I had children. But now that I am a mom, I find it hard to read anything that deals with death, especially for some reason WWII books. But the book is award winning. It is well written and the story is beautifully told. I couldn't put it down, even when I realized it was going to be sad. I fell in love with the characters. They are the kind of characters that stay with you. That you find yourself thinking about, wondering how they are doing, and then remember that they aren't actually real. I highly recommend this book, but with the warning that it is sad. So don't read it if you are already depressed. I think I would really like to choose it for book club next time I get to pick.

**I also am not quite sure about the whole postscript. Was it really necessary? Couldn't the same idea been shared in a different way? It was completely out of character for the rest of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Night, Mr. Tom.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amee (new)

Amee I have been reading young adult lately as well. Loved Charlotte Doyle. Have you read Goosegirl by Shannon Hale. Its a fun YA read

Danielle Yes, I love Shannon Hale! I think my fave was book of 1000 days.

message 3: by Amee (new)

Amee I loved that one too!