Shanda's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

F_50x66
Apr 20, 12

Read in April, 2012

Enjoyed this dystopian novel with an interesting plot about a world where love - amor deliria nervosa - is a deadly disease and people are "cured" of it when they turn 18. One thing I liked reading about in this book is the contrast between people that are cured and those that are not yet cured. Once cured, people are stiff, nothing seems to matter and they have forgotten any love experiences that they may have had. One part that is sad is that people don't even show love or attachment to their children. On the other hand people that are not cured, are depicted as unstable, erratic and irrational. Lena, the main character, has always been treated differently because the cure didn't take with her mother who eventually committed suicide. She has always looked forward to the cure so that she could be "normal." When she meets Alex, her outlook becomes a bit different. I really liked this novel, the only thing that I didn't like is that it seems to drag in some parts in the middle and could be a bit shorter without losing anything important. Looking forward to reading the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.