Brittany M.'s Reviews > The Lost Crown

The Lost Crown by Sarah  Miller

Apr 12, 14

bookshelves: history-based, favorites, best-in-2011
Read from May 27 to June 01, 2011

To say this book is superb is a dramatic understatement. If you’re going to read only one YA book featuring the Romanovs, make it The Lost Crown. Although I was a little hesitant to start another Romanov-centric book after recently finishing one, The Lost Crown quickly proved to be more than I was expecting. It now sits firmly in my ‘favourites’ shelf, a decision I came to immediately after closing the last page.

This book is greatly different from other books like it because it tells the story of the Russian Revolution through the eyes of EACH of the sisters. It doesn’t just solely focus on Anastasia like the other ones I can think of off the top of my head (Dreaming Anastasia by Joy Preble and Anastasia’s Secret by Susanne Dunlap for instance) While I ADORED Anastasia’s Secret, The Lost Crown offers a whole lot more in the way of story and real historical events.

Each sister is blissfully different and Sarah Miller manages to portray that throughout her switching narratives. I can’t believe how well she managed to do this! The format of the pages are also amazing – with a portrait of the sister narrating the story framed at the start of each chapter. It really is a beautiful book (and this was just in e-book format!) I can’t wait to get my hands on a complete hard copy for myself.

Sarah Miller also uses some beautiful prose throughout this book. I was floored in regards to her beautiful descriptions. What a talented writer! I can also see (apart from the intense bibliography at the end) how much research and passion went into the writing of The Lost Crown. I think she did a brilliant job of conveying the historical timeline and keeping true to the real personalities of the Romanovs. Each character has a distinctive voice and it was a pleasure to read. I’ve been interested in this aspect of history for some time now but I’m in no way a major ‘buff’. From my handful of knowledge about the Romanovs I’d says Sarah Miller did a pretty amazing job!

I’m finding it hard to write a fitting review for this book. The Lost Crown took me on such an amazing journey packed full of emotion and it feels like I’m trying to describe all the best aspects of a loved one and failing miserably! I recall starting the book and seeing it was a daunting 450 pages on my e-book reader. I had a little time to think ‘do I really want to get involved in such a large book at the moment?’ but I pressed on anyway. Thank goodness I did because really, once you get going, you can’t believe how fast the pages fly by. No chapter is useless or unnecessary. I feel by the end of this book that we know each character personally, and it couldn’t have been done by sacrificing a few of the weightier chapters.

I can’t think of anything that would make The Lost Crown better; but I was expecting ‘the end’ told through each of the sister’s eyes differently, instead we only got Olga’s (if I recall correctly). I suppose it was a good way to end it, though, without seeing the bloodshed, but I admit I was expecting the event to happen in more detail. The last few pages are also packed with photographs of the Romanovs (that show up on e-readers!) as well as some author notes on the history, some great links to check out more information and a very lengthy bibliography! All in all The Lost Crown serves your Romanov needs so much so that you won’t need to pick up another title for quite some time.

Recommended to: Anyone with even a SLIVER of interest for the last Imperial family of Russia – even if you haven’t really heard of them until now! I guarantee this book will make you think, laugh and cry and will become an instant favourite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Crown.

Quotes Brittany Liked

Sarah  Miller
“Olga sits on the carpet in front of her shelves with stacks of books scattered around her, struggling to pick between her old favorites. She's all bent over, like a puppet without a hand inside it.”

Sarah  Miller
“Sounds buzz around me, and I'm sure the painted dragonflies have come loose from the frieze on our walls to flap their wings in my ears, making my skin prickle and crawl as tides of sickness wash me away.”

Sarah  Miller
“I cross myself and close my eyes. Where we go next, we go together.”

Sarah  Miller
“We should be used to it," Tatiana reasons. "There have always been lines separating us from the rest of the world, whether they were satin ribbons or iron rails.”

05/27/2011 page 30
05/30/2011 page 146
33.0% "Amazing so far"
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brittany M. I'm LOVING this... seriously

Aleeeeeza so glad you liked! i loved it too :)