Shawna's Reviews > The Devil in Disguise

The Devil in Disguise by Stefanie Sloane

Jun 04, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance, historical-romance-regency, hero-duke-heir-to-dukedom, stefanie-sloane-regency-rogues, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, heroine-debutante-talk-of-the-ton, steam-1-tepid, 2011-reads, 3-stars, animals-matter, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-brooding, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, hero-fake-rake-assumed-libertine, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-heiress-socialite, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, i-read-no-longer-own-sold-swapped, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, hero-bad-boy-playboy, wager, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, editing-nightmare, blah-meh, hr-regency-napoleonic-era-wars
Recommended for: Fans of rake/spy heroes
Read from June 03 to 04, 2011

3 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

I was really looking forward to this, but unfortunately it’s just an okay/average romance that didn’t meet my expectations. I liked the storyline...a notorious, devilishly sexy rake who’s really a spy in disguise uses a prized stallion to entice a rich, beautiful, willful debutante into a courtship so he can protect her from an assassin’s kidnapping plot...but I definitely had issues with the poor editing, lukewarm passion, and overall delivery.

The scene and chapter transitions are very abrupt and jarring, and at times I even wondered if there were missing pages. The kissing and love scene(s?) are somewhat strange, written rather poorly, are much too short with barely any detail, and feel extremely, confusingly rushed. (view spoiler). The romance was lacking and it just didn’t feel genuine or believable.

So although I liked the interesting premise and there are some witty, charming moments, it’s really disjointed and just a decent, not great, Regency romance. I’m not sure at this point if I’ll read the next book, The Angel in My Arms, but I’ll probably wait for reviews first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in Disguise.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Great review and I agree. I was kind of bummed with this one as well :( Thankfully my library has the second one on order so I just put it on hold, instead of buying it like I did with this one. I was very disappointed with the editing as well and the relationship aspect but heres hoping they get it right next time~

message 2: by Shawna (last edited Jun 05, 2011 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shawna Thanks, Lisa! The editing and transitions were pretty bad. (view spoiler)

My library has the second book on order, but I'll still wait for some friend's reviews before getting it. I definitely won't pay for it like I unfortunately did for this one.

message 3: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Blah...I am sorry this one turned out to be a bummer for you, Shawna. I was going to buy it, but I think I will wait now. I hope the next book you read is better!

message 4: by Steffi (new) - added it

Steffi This book has been lying around on my desk for more than a week now. Can't bring myself to start it. So many people think it's just average. I'll have to see for myself, sometime, in the very distant future:)

Shawna Thanks, Ally! My expectations were high, and I think some of the problems I had with it were *hopefully* because it's the first book. Maybe the second book will be better and have much improved editing.

Steffi, Maybe you'll enjoy it more since your expectations won't be as high as mine were. :)

message 6: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel I've been struggling to finish this book for almost 2 weeks now and hate to leave a book unfinished. I had high hopes because Julia Quinn has really been singing this author's praises. The number of grammatical errors is just horrendous. Makes me wonder if they published the wrong draft of this book...

message 7: by Ragus (new) - added it

Ragus OH, OH ... I thought I read this was a great 1st novel! Good review, Shawna, and I'll leave this on my wishlist while waiting for the next installment and review. :o(( Since Ballantine is a major publisher, I find it hard to excuse the sloppy editing and poor story construction.

Shawna Rachel, I had high expectations based on Julia Quinn's endorsement as well and also the review in RT book magazine. But I agree, the errors, editing, and story flow were terrible. I gave it a bit of a break since it's the first book, so 3 stars was probably generous.

Thanks, Ragus! I thought that, too, so it was disappointing.

message 9: by Wolfie0516 (new)

Wolfie0516 Your review put into words perfectly everything I thought about this book. I was so frustrated with how it jumped from scene to scene with no segues, and I never bought into their attachment to one another. I can believe instant physical attraction happening, but not falling in love so quickly and without any deep or real conversations taking place between them. I felt confused and disbelieving the entire time I read it.

Shawna Thanks, Wolfie! I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me. This series was praised by Julia Quinn, so I had high hopes, but it was pretty disappointing and rather jarring.