Lucy's Reviews > That White Girl: A Novel

That White Girl by JLove Calderón

Feb 09, 2008

bookshelves: junioryearbookshelf
Read in February, 2008

This book really was great. It opened my eyes and it got me thinking about a lot of stuff doing with race. I didn't think the book was written well as in structure-wise, but the experiences were so deep. Amber, the main character, was white and she lived in Denver. She hung out with blacks more and people would talk about her. She becomes involved with gang banging and many people questions what she is doing. Amber constantly face racial problems. During her time in her gang, she saw a lot of bad things and did a lot of bad things too. When she wanted to pull away, it was hard for her. i thought this book was so real and it seemed like a movie to me. Amber also had guys in and out her life and she was constantly hurt and to relieve this pain, she would cut herself. What i found weird was she talked about cutting herself like it was normal and i found it so crazy. at the end she does find purpose in her life and she makes tough decisions. This was a good book and it really addresses racism and how everyone was racist. All the incidents described were so tragic and sometimes i just felt so bad and questioned why the world can be so cruel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That White Girl.