Lexie's Reviews > Duel of Passion

Duel of Passion by Madeleine Ker

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: genre-romance, harlequin-80s, books-owned-read
Read on September 09, 2011

This is part of the books I inherited from my grandmother after she died. As a teen she would lend me volumes of Harlequin novels--from the 70's/80's/90's--because they interested me. I'll admit something off the top, I loved this book. I mean I loved it with a pretty fierce passion. I must have read it at least a dozen times between the ages of 13 and 16. And that's even with the almost not quite forced consent love scene that nearly happens.

I think what grabbed me as a young teen was the fact that Sophie remade herself (or rather unmade what she had become for a role in a TV show) and hey it grabbed the attention of the guy she was pining for. At the time I read this originally that was my dream--to suddenly flourish and the guy I had been nursing a crush on to notice me and be like 'Where have you been?' and I'd laugh and say 'right under your nose' with a dramatic kiss. So yeah I may have projected just a little.

On a re-read as an adult (I haven't touched this book in gosh about 7 years? maybe more) I realized that they both need a LOT of serious therapy. I mean it. Sophie needs help because she let something get to her so badly that a year later she decides to get revenge on the man by getting him sexually frustrated. Kyle needs help because he then wants revenge for her revenge and all buts tells Sophie he's seducing her (younger) cousin. Meanwhile they're both so hung up on each other that they can't eat or sleep or even hold a conversation properly.

Still I admire Ker in her ability to still make me want to let them get together. They deserve each other, though I find it...unrealistic that Sophie would give up everything she worked for just because she suddenly has Kyle. I mean really? But that seems to be really popular in Harlequin novels of this era.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duel of Passion.

09/09 page 25