Mark's Reviews > Asleep

Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto

May 06, 11

Read from April 30 to May 06, 2011

moody flighty woman talks about herself and weird people in her life. 3 stories in one book. this is the second time i've read this book. if you like weird stuff and weird people read Banana Yoshimoto. For example ... "I felt like I'd just woken up a moment ago, and everything looked so clear and beautiful it was frightening. Everything really was gorgeous. Those crowds of people walking through the night, the light from the paper lanterns dotting the arcade, the line of my boyfriends forehead as he gazed straight up, eager for the fireworks to start, as we stood there in the slightly cool wind--it was all so beautiful.
Suddenly everything seemed too perfect, and tears welled up in my eyes...."

Jeez woman what is it? Clear and beautiful is frightening? It's all so beautiful, now I'm going to freak out and cry. Go back to sleep.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asleep.

04/30/2011 page 12
6.0% "after starting this book I realized I have read this before but it was long enough ago that reading it again will almost be like the first time."
05/01/2011 page 69
36.0% "this is really 3 books in one. I am done with the first one, now on to book two"
05/05/2011 page 107
56.0% "on to the last section... ASLEEP. hmmm, I remember liking her writing much more the first time. Probably I was drunk just like she was in her second section called LOVE SONGS. now to read her again sober [I'm just kidding, I can't read if I'm drunk haha] she doesn't seem so mysterious anymore. what can I say?"
05/06/2011 page 192
100.0% "what a flighty woman is this Banana character. It must be nice to just live your life sleeping drinking and making love"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tina Haha! Thanks for the laugh! I thought she was melodramatic too.

message 2: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie If this is how you thought of the book, why did you read it again???

Mark it was a quick read, I do like her writing. I didn't review it the first time, it was many years ago. You know you change through the years. the first book I read of hers was Kitchen I think. Fantastic book. I don't know, this book just didn't do much for me. I move on, read so many books I hardly even remember this one now. I guess it just annoyed me at the time. oh well

message 4: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie I haven't read this one or Kitchen so I don't have an opinion on the book really, I was just wondering. I was strolling around trying to find out which book to read after getting done with After Dark by Haruki Murakami. You read him?

Mark oh yeah. all his books. After Dark to me is his least interesting book

message 6: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Really? I loved it. But I think Kafka is his masterpiece.

Mark I liked the Windup Bird Chronicles best, and Norwegian Wood was the first book I ever read of his.

Mark I like the Windup Bird Chronicles best, of course the first book I ever read was Norwegian Wood. who could not love that book?