Tortla's Reviews > The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Mar 04, 14

bookshelves: dragons, classics, everybody-should-own, writing-on-writing
Read in January, 2004, read count: 3

I can't believe I thought Morgenstern was real. Not for long, really. But still. When I discovered he wasn't I hated this book for a while.
But then I reread it and it was awesome in an entirely new way. I'm still not a huge fan of the fake little tidbits that the "abridgment" offers, especially the allusions to Florin as a real place, but I generally just skip over those. Also, I find the story of Goldman and his fat kid vaguely depressing. And I didn't like the part about Westley wearing jeans. That's just silly. But everything else was excellent.

I wonder if he's ever actually going to write Buttercup's Baby. I don't like the idea of the giant-talking-bird-thing that he mentions in the thirtieth-anniversary-edition...Maybe just because I don't like birds. They're creepy. Extra creepy if they're giant and they speak.
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Bride.

Quotes Tortla Liked

William Goldman
“Just because you're beautiful and perfect, it's made you conceited.”

William Goldman
“The Queen's Pride was his ship, and he loved her. (That was the way his sentences always went: It is raining today and I love you. My cold is better and I love you. Say hello to Horse and I love you. Like that.)”

William Goldman
“Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death, that's all.”

William Goldman
“I love you,' Buttercup said. 'I know this must come as something of a surprise to you, since all I've ever done is scorn you and degrade you and taunt you, but I have loved you for several hours now, and every second, more. I thought an hour ago that I loved you more than any woman has ever loved a man, but a half hour after that I knew that what I felt before was nothing compared to what I felt then. But ten minutes after that, I understood that my previous love was a puddle compared to the high seas before a storm. Your eyes are like that, did you know? Well they are. How many minutes ago was I? Twenty? Had I brought my feelings up to then? It doesn't matter.' Buttercup still could not look at him. The sun was rising behind her now; she could feel the heat on her back, and it gave her courage. 'I love you so much more now than twenty minutes ago that there cannot be comparison. I love you so much more now then when you opened your hovel door, there cannot be comparison. There is no room in my body for anything but you. My arms love you, my ears adore you, my knees shake with blind affection. My mind begs you to ask it something so it can obey. Do you want me to follow you for the rest of your days? I will do that. Do you want me to crawl? I will crawl. I will be quiet for you or sing for you, or if you are hungry, let me bring you food, or if you have thirst and nothing will quench it but Arabian wine, I will go to Araby, even though it is across the world, and bring a bottle back for your lunch. Anything there is that I can do for you, I will do for you; anything there is that I cannot do, I will learn to do. I know I cannot compete with the Countess in skills or wisdom or appeal, and I saw the way she looked at you. And I saw the way you looked at her. But remember, please, that she is old and has other interests, while I am seventeen and for me there is only you. Dearest Westley--I've never called you that before, have I?--Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley,--darling Westley, adored Westley, sweet perfect Westley, whisper that I have a chance to win your love.' And with that, she dared the bravest thing she'd ever done; she looked right into his eyes.”

William Goldman
“Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.”
William Goldman, The Princess Bride

LadyJane Don't worry. I believed for a time (perhaps a year) that Morgenstern was a real person. I even went as far as look for the 'unabridged' book that had all the boring parts. A friend broke the news to me that Morgenstern wasn't really and then I was slightly disappointed for a while. :)

Sarah What? Morgenstern's not real? Well, you learn something new everyday! What a unique concept though.