El's Reviews > The Cat Who Walks Through Walls

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert A. Heinlein

Feb 22, 08

bookshelves: 20th-centurylit-late, science-fictiony
Read in February, 2008

Richard Ames is ex-military-turned-writer who finds himself in the middle of an assassination and mistaken identity. In the process he meets and weds the gregarious Gwen Novack who manages to be an incredibly strong female protagonist throughout the story. In a matter of days they travel to the Moon and on to Tertius, traveling amongst interesting side characters ranging from a bonsai tree to a kitten named Pixel and several Loonies in between.

Meant to be a romance as much as a science fiction novel it is abundantly clear about halfway through the book that it would probably have been more helpful to have read other Heilein novels before reading this one. In looking into it now I find there are other books that would have assisted in understanding some key details; I do not know if it would have improved my interest in the plot (or lack thereof), or if perhaps I just should not have read the majority of the book in fits and starts on the bus to and from work. And of course there is always the possibility that I am just not cut out for Heinlein - I still feel his writing leans more mysognistic than plain ol' satirical and I have a hard time finding a lot of humor in it. However, Gwen is not your (stereo)typical female character; while her energy and passion for her work are evident in her strength and ambition, it is through Richard Ames's eyes the story is told and his thoughts leave much to be desired.

All in all it was an okay read but was not of much interest to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat Who Walks Through Walls.