VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures, Volume 1

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures is Book 1 of the prolonged ongoing saga that is the Anita Blake series. Enter Anita, a necromancer by night and a vampire hunter...by night. You can imagine she has her plate full, raising the dead and staking fanged baddies.

And speaking of which, we meet Nikolaos, a 1,000 year old vampire. She's the most powerful in the city all the while inhabiting a body of a 10-year-old. She's causing a few problems for Anita that leads her to become allies with other vampires. Who better to help her than the second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude? The other worldly beautiful, but dangerous man wants to take over and happily joins with Anita, as he's interested in more than just an alliance. While drawn to him, Anita resists the temptation since she kinda has a problem with those allergic to sunlight.

While on the darker side, I found myself drawn into this mid-western city or St. Louis with it's grit, excitement and thrills. Anita gets her hands dirty and isn't afraid of a few scars...and boy does she have them.

The plot is definitely fast-paced and the read is short but focused, telling the story fine enough. I am not the hugest fan of this art style to be honest. The artist undoubtedly has skills and there's plenty of grit, but it's just not close to how I imagined the characters in my mind, especially Jean-Claude.

*Review also posted to Amazon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter.