VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Blood+, Vol. 01

Blood+, Vol. 01 by Asuka Katsura

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: manga, vampires

If you're familiar with the Blood+ anime and enjoyed it, then I definitely recommend this manga series. The first volume takes you into Saya's life. She's seemingly your average teenage girl who has been adopted into a Japanese family's home. She has no memory of her past, but that's soon remedied as a mysterious figure from her past, Haji, finds her and awakens her powers. Chiropterans--vampiric like shapechanging monsters--are now plaguing the city and only Saya's powers can stop them.

This manga is extremely action packed and violent, similar to the anime series. There is a fair bit of drama as Saya comes to grips with her fate and all of the violence and carnage that lies ahead. Her foster brother, Kai, harbors romantic feelings for her but mainly wants to look out for her wellbeing and be a supporting figure in her life. The antagonists are just as menacing as the anime series, but there are differences which makes me prefer the anime series a little more in this aspect.

Volume 1 was pretty much like episode 1 of the anime, but there are only 5 volumes of the manga and 50 episodes of the anime, so I suspect a lot of plot lines will be omitted.

I like the art style. The images are easy to see, which is a problem I've noticed with a decent amount and manga/manhwa I've read in the past where there is too much going on in a page, or something isn't detailed enough. I also like that they keep the original reading format, not flipping it to conform to American standards. I personally prefer to read manga in the Japanese direction.

All in all, if you like action, horror, drama, and a touch of romance, I would recommend this series.

*Review also posted to Amazon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood+, Vol. 01.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Holy Terror I love this anime so much that I even imported the two soundtracks (which are also awesome by the way.) I have this whole series in Japanese as well.

I think it might be one of my favorite anime/manga stories, ever.

Great review!

message 2: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jan 08, 2012 06:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Thanks! I love the anime too. I only watched the Subs though. I'm not too big on dubs unless they're really good like Cowboy Bebop and Baccano. I actually made an amv to Blood+ a few years ago (though my stuff after that is better, lol):

The Holy Terror Yeah, I can't even remember the last dub I watched. When I watch anime I watch it as it airs (or try to, at least.)

Aahh, that AMV makes me want to watch the series again.

^_^

VampireNovelFan Me too! Though I just want to go in and fix everything I would do differently now, too. rofl.