Chana's Reviews > Sister of My Heart

Sister of My Heart by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Jan 30, 2011

bookshelves: fiction-family-drama, india, released-through-bookcrossing
Read from January 30 to February 02, 2011

A romantic, coming-of-age, family saga in Calcutta, India. Two girls growing up in the same household, bonded so strongly even at birth that they grow up sharing inner hearts, as the title says "sister of my heart". The girls are both fatherless as their fathers passed away in the same sad and mysterious accident right before the girls were born. The girls are raised by the "3 mothers" and eventually marry, which is complex in itself.
One of the things that I really liked about this book is the pleasure one can take in being in this big old house in Calcutta growing up with the girls, all the Indian customs, foods, ceremonies. The sense of being under the influence of a writer who knew India as her home is strong. I enjoyed all that very much.
This is a pretty good book, a little over-dramatic sometimes, but it works. I loved the surprise at the end, it was just right. Two things I could find fault with: one character commits a folly so unbelievable at the end, something that didn't fit his personality as it had been explained to us; the other thing is that the story just ends, we don't know what happens, it doesn't feel like an ending. It feels more like we were involved in a really good movie then the power went out and now we never know what happens

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister of My Heart.