VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D, Volume 03

Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D, Volume 03 by Hideyuki Kikuchi

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: manga, vampires

This manga adaptation is based off of the third book of the novels. There is also a movie adaptation called Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The movie is a much looser adaptation of this manga. There are numerous plot changes and character personality shifts.

D has been hired by a wealthy ailing man to find his daughter whose been kidnapped by vampire, MeierLink. We soon learn that the two are actually in love and want to escape together to a planet leaving the planet.

D isn't the only one on their tail. The father's also hired the mercenary Marcus brothers (with 3 brothers and a sister) for the same mission. It's a race to the finish for who will rescue her first.

Normally, I prefer the books or manga to a movie or anime, but for this series it was the opposite. The movie was visually stunning a the time with great action. I also much preferred the family dynamic of the Marcus brothers compared to the book as well. In the movie, they at least come off as somewhat likable. However, unlike the book, I felt MeierLink and Charlotte's relationship got much more attention and was able to shine through in the illustrations a bit more. There is one color still of them on the front of the manga that's completely gorgeous. The color is amazing. Leila's character comes off better in the manga than in the book as well, though she is still a bit softer than in the movie. Like the book, her feelings for D are a bit more pronounced. Even still, Leila from the movie is still my preference. Seeing the horror she lives through with her brothers illustrated is somewhat more disturbing than reading about it, so she does come off as more sympathetic.

If you've seen Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, I would recommend reading the manga. It's very interesting to see what the movie changed. I think I prefer the mangas over the books; however, the books are being produced at a much faster rate, so if you can't wait to see what next adventure of D's journey, get the books and then get the manga later. It is interesting to see how close your imagination is to the artist.

*Review also posted to Amazon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D, Volume 03.