Lizzy's Reviews > The Darlings are Forever

The Darlings are Forever by Melissa Kantor

Feb 28, 11

Read from January 30 to February 01, 2011

I've found that in many YA books, I tend to have major issues with characters who have unrealistic problems. The Darlings Are Forever is a book which deals with realistic issues, and strong teen characters. Jane, Natalya, and Victoria are all headed to separate high schools, and this strains their friendship. They each have their own individual issues, and those build up until things reach a breaking point in their friendship. Fights/arguments in YA always risk the possibility of seeming silly. Sometimes characters fight for no apparent reason, or the topic of the argument is really minor compared to the drama unleashed. So, it felt refreshing to read a book where an argument between friends was the natural next step in the book.

I think that I would have connected more with the characters had I read this somewhere between eighth grade and senior year of high school. The book felt like it was on the younger side of YA, and while I would definitely suggest the book to girls at that age, I think this may have prevented me from connecting more with the problems of the characters.

I thought this was a cute read, and a nice start to a series. The subject matter isn't dark, and it shows a realistic view of girls determined to maintain their friendship despite their lives moving in different directions.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darlings are Forever.

01/30/2011 page 67