Adrienne Campbell's Reviews > The Broker

The Broker by John Grisham

Feb 14, 11

Read from February 10 to 14, 2011

Johm Grisham has another winner with "The Broker".

This book seemed a little sluggish at the beginning but it didn't take long for the story to take off and I was hooked.

This is the story of a high powered power broker in Washington D.C. The main character, Joel Backman, is one of those guys you love to hate. He is in prison for his crimes and is suddenly pardoned by the President of the United States - a last minute decision made just before he is to leave office.

Joel is wisked away to Italy and another new life begins. He becomes human and suddenly you realize you feel kind of sorry for the guy. Life is a struggle and the reason for his pardon is without explanation.

C.I.A., F.B.I., and a collection of interested parties from other countries want to know where he is being hidden. And eventually they will all become involved in the chase.

In the meantime, Joel/Marco is struggling to build a new life in Italy. Along with learning a foreign language, he is immersed in the customs, etiquette, and lifestyle. But a comfortable lifestyle is not in his future as those who search for him grow ever closer.

Fast paced, a delicious look into the cultural aspects of Italy, and loads of spy drama! I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a Legal/Spy Thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broker.