Adrienne Campbell's Reviews > Vanishing Act

Vanishing Act by Thomas Perry

Mar 06, 11

Read in March, 2011

I read this series years ago and loved it. I finally found it again after forgetting the name of the author, titles, and the main character and I'm so glad I did!

Jane Whitefield is a "guide". An Indian of the Seneca tribe, she is a contemporary woman living in a modern world and yet she follows the voices of her ancestors and the earth. She specializes in helping those who can no longer help or protect themselves. Her clients are children, women, and sometimes men who are being hunted and will eventually be killed.

This is one brilliant woman with a list of connections she's made over the years. She doesn't advertise her services. People simply show up on her doorstep. Jake, her next door neighbor and old friend keeps an eye on things for her and is quite curious about her job but Jane keeps him at a safe distance.

Her newest client appears while she is away finishing up her last job and she finds herself face to face with a handsome man...waiting and hiding in her house. He convinces her to help him by relaying the story of a mutual friend, Harry, whom Jane has already helped relocate. The story rings true and this retired police officer and framed accountant wins her trust and she decides to help him disappear.

This is an amazing read. The details and strategies are billiant and you find yourself caught up in the adventure...Almost wanting to be there with them and yet thankful you aren't!

Jane is an amazing heroine and Thomas Perry has develped this character with great care and thoughtfulness. I found myself rooting for her all the way to the very last page! I would definitely recommend this book series. I can hardly wait to get started on the next one...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanishing Act.