Irina's Reviews > The Seance

The Seance by John Harwood

Jan 30, 11

Read from January 09 to 30, 2011

I gave Mr. Harwood's second book 4 stars. This book delivered in all fronts. Mystery, murder -including the alleged one of an infant-, apparitions, romance and of course, the inheritance of the sinister mansion upon which the stories and personages revolve around.

The author manages to keep his readers wondering and guessing what could have happened without being predictable and he manages to tie the ends smoothly without rushing to the final unraveling of the mysteries.

The beginning was a bit obscure and slow but had I seen the genealogy drafted further ahead in the book, I would have understood a bit better they why and the choice of sequence of the initial chapters.

I found myself smelling the mustiness, decay and ruins of the Hall as every visitor entered its confines. The thunder storms and the mist, especially the mist, set me on edge all the time as a preamble of what was to happen next.

I highly recommend this book, it will keep you wondering when the next visitor will vanish and how.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seance.