Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Eternal Rider

Eternal Rider by Larissa Ione

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: zomg-i-must-have-him, holy-winged-ones, evil-horned-ones, reviewed-2011, romance-paranormal
Recommended for: fans of the genre, series, author, etc
Read from July 22 to 27, 2011, read count: 1

Let’s start with the cover(s). Why do PNR books (almost) always have on them the half-naked hot dude who’s missing half of his face? There was a time when I didn’t really mind it but enough already! See the UK version for this book? AWESOME! I really REALLY love it! And I saw many book covers from the UK which were pretty good which means that the trends are different there. Anyways, I’m hoping that US books, especially from this genre, will change the cover style a bit because this isn’t hot anymore.

I’ve always liked a good Armageddon theme. The story was actually what I loved the most about Eternal Rider. It’ been a while since the last time I’ve read a PNR book and this one seemed good. I’m a real big fan of Larissa Ione and I was sure she wouldn’t disappoint.

The whole Apocalypse thing is popular lately so I see Larissa Ione’s decision to shift Demonica into this as a breath of fresh air. I respect the fact that she knew when to take this break and didn’t lengthen Demonica into something… well… sh*tty. Eventually it would have turned out boring, trust me on this one. It helps if you read the whole Demonica series before starting this but I guess you could manage if you didn’t. You’d miss some details but nothing too important.

Twenty ways to f*ck up a human mind – a good title for this book. This poor chick, Cara, is going through a lot of sh*t in Eternal Rider. I never get tired of seeing a human react to the whole “The Boogeyman Is Real” story. What should be the normal reaction to “The Bogeyman Is Real”? This:

Yep! Eventually she dealt with it and all was fine.

Ares was a good character. Ever since I watched Xena, 1000 years ago, I got my eyes on Ares. It’s not the same guy but the name makes me think of the actor (don’t know his name, I just know that he died so R.I.P. *sad face*) who was a major hottie/badass/assh*le (and I mean assh*le in a good way).

Anyways, back to the Ares at hand. I loved those scenes when he went all badass on poor Cara. The girl was a wuss at first so she needed a bit of training. I’ve always admired strong heroines so the thought of Cara being weak and the typical damsel in distress made me worry a bit. She wasn’t the typical strong and ruthless character but she did ok. If she was more than this she’d clash with Ares and they’d up kicking each other’s ass non-stop. No good chemistry there, I’m sure…

Now u go to Cara and Hal. I’ve always admired characters that can tame beasts and then form that friendship bond that results in love and devotion. I wish I could do that, dammit!!! I want my own hellhound! *sigh*

Btw wanted to find a great picture of a hellhound and guess what? Didn’t find sh*t. Why the hell is Google out of nice hellhound artwork?!?! This is like provoking me to start working on one. And I will. Later…

That’s the best I could find: hellhound sculpture/3D thing. Good for references though…

Pestilence is one hell of a villain. Even though at first I wasn’t happy about the whole evil brother gig (reminded me too much of Demonica with Rick or whatever his name was (I Googled and it’s Roag) and the other guys) it eventually got better and meaner and bloodier and I have to stop now ‘cause I’m using too many and’s.

I really love Larissa Ione’s stories. They are always fast paced, they never give you time to get bored. There may be moments where she writes about unnecessary things but they are few and the book as a whole makes it up for them. In Eternal Rider I had some of those moments but in the end the story and characters got to me and I didn’t even remember the boring parts.

Wraith’s presence was nice also – I really missed the guy.

Great turn of events in the end. I mean I knew Cara wasn’t going to die but, as always, I was curious how the author will fix her up. I’m proud to say I was close enough. At least I guessed the species that will save her. That’s something.

And now some extra parts with some spoilers. Just some thoughts. Irrelevant so you may not read if you wish.

(view spoiler)

Top 5 quotes

#5 “It wasn’t a kiss, human, so don’t get excited.”
She sputtered in outrage. “I don’t know what putting your lips on someone else’s mouth means for your people—whatever they are—but humans call that a kiss.”
“Congratulations, then. You made out with a hellhound.”

#4 Was he actually looking forward to seeing Cara again? The goofy way his lips were curved into a smile said yes, and horror of horrors, he realized he was experiencing some sort of crush.
He needed to kill something.

#3 “I’ve never been in this region before.”
Thanatos glanced around. “Me either.”
“Maybe because this place sucks.” Wraith flipped a throwing knife from hand to hand. “I thought we were going to get to fight. Talk about lame. I’m seriously disappointed in you Horsemen people.”

#2 One of Than’s vampire servants hustled to clean up Batarel’s remains, and he bowed before Ares. “May I take those body parts from you, sir?”

#1 “Hal… he wouldn’t… I mean, look at him.”
Hal leaped into the air, his jaws snapping as he caught a bird he’d flushed. The poor bird was gone in an instant, an explosion of feathers floating around Hal’s head.
“Sure,” Ares said wryly. “Look at him.”

Read the review on ZombieHazard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal Rider.

07/22/2011
0.0% "Excited about this one!"
07/23/2011
8.0% "Ha! I found Aly's name character thing! :p" 12 comments
07/26/2011
63.0% "Dear Santa, Please bring me a hellhound. Thanks XX" 10 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored The quotes are so cool :)

PS:I hope your hellhound is better, when you start it :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer I want two helhounds guarding a hot chick :D

Aly is so frigging bored Really? Only 2? I don't belive you

Anzu The Great Destroyer Yep only 2 :D

Aly is so frigging bored You don't have room for more in your house, that's it no?

Anzu The Great Destroyer Woman! I was talking about the painting :p

Anzu The Great Destroyer yep :))
personally I want only one :p

Aly is so frigging bored :)) they're to biiiig! I would go with a Hellcat :D

message 10: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Hellcat???? Cmon that's not cool :))

Aly is so frigging bored You say :)) I disagree :D I think they are lovely :P

message 12: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Nah they sound lame...

Aly is so frigging bored Lame =)))))) you just reminded me about the whole 'lame' thing you "defender of mankind" =)))

message 14: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer OMG dun say it out loud maybe people will expect me to save them or something =)))))

Aly is so frigging bored That would be something to see :))

message 16: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Yeah.... me turning my back on them :))

Aly is so frigging bored I am imagining a line, with ppl who have numbers, all of them want to tell you their problems so you can fix 'em. And you frazzle haired, with a crazed look in your eyes, searching for an exit. :D

Did I paint a nice pic? :D

message 18: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer OMG =))))) that's really good =)))
Feels like I'm playing God...
That's how I see God btw... Bruce Almighty style :))

Aly is so frigging bored Thank you, thank you :D
Is that the movie with Jim Carrey? If so I haven't seen it 'cuz I hate his guts *angel face*

message 20: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer OMG you're my enemy now!!! Love Jim Carrey ♥♥♥♥

Aly is so frigging bored I hate him!!! He looks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, moves like an idiot so he mast be an idiot :D and I doesn't like that kind of idiots ;;)

message 22: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer He's a genius :D

Aly is so frigging bored Uhm... I don't think so :))

message 24: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars