Laura's Reviews > American Wife

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

F_50x66
Feb 02, 11

Read on January 30, 2011

I gave this one star because I thought if I didn't give it any, people would think I just forgot to rate it.

This book could have been about 200 pages shorter if she hadn't continually listed names of books the character was reading/working with/ buying for others and given us the words to the songs they were singing, etc. Who cares? She couldn't just give the general idea and move on?

A lot of her descriptions were really good, but then she just kept on going ad nauseam. And, since I'd already read the news during the eight years of Bush's presidency, it got boring reading it again. Adding notes to explain why these actions were okay with the character didn't do anything to make the re-hashed news interesting. And, since the last section followed Bush's presidency date-by-date and item-by-item, adding notes to explain why the actions were okay with the character is not justification for pretending the section is fiction.

But, worst of all, was the constant graphic sex starting at the end of the first section. Some of it struck me as stupid, most of it as gross, but absolutely none of it was sexy. If I wanted a how-to sex manual, I'd probably prefer to get one with pictures. If I'd never had sex, her descriptions would probably make me decide I never wanted to have any.

All that said, I must say that in general I visualized Alice as Laura Bush and Priscilla as Barbara Bush.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Wife.

01/30/2011 page 405