Davina's Reviews > Wringer

Wringer by Jerry Spinelli

Jan 30, 2011

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction
Read in January, 2011

I had an interesting experience with this book: someone had written (in pencil) literary elements along the margins throughout the whole book in reference to certain passages. It actually made me slow down and really investigate what I was reading. Character voice changes, foreshadowing, pov, conflict, etc. etc. I think I ended up enjoying it more than I would have without the reminders. Granted, people need to STOP writing in library books, but it was interesting.

Palmer is only just turning 9, but he is already dreading his 10th birthday. In his town, when a boy turns ten, he is expected to join the summer festival "fun" of wringing pigeons' necks (5,000 of them) after having been shot out of the sky by the town participants. It wouldn't be so bad, and he could even maybe avoid the whole thing, if he didn't end up hanging out with the town bad-boy gang who can't wait to help kill the birds next summer. Even worse, Palmer ends up befriending and housing a wild pigeon. Palmer spends his whole school year stressing himself out trying to protect both his reputation with his new friends as well as his pet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wringer.