Brian's Reviews > One-Shot

One-Shot by James Blish

Jan 30, 11

bookshelves: ebook
Read on January 30, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Science fiction is all about taking current trends and extending them out to see what could happen. Short sci-fi published in the 50's and 60's now often seems odd or bizarre now that we're looking back at a time they were still looking forward to.

First published in 1955 and now freely available from gutenberg etc, this story is interesting because the authour got so many things right. Computers are increasingly important, and public companies are often taking over roles reserved for government agencies in the 50's. Even the comments about not really understanding how hard it is to produce really random data is all spot on. What was missed of course was the fact computer prices would drop as fast as they grew more powerful, union/mob style gangsters would go out of fashion and ESP wouldn't pan out at all. The result is strange enough another reviewer called it an alternate reality piece, but I think it was likely logical from the authour's point in space-time.

I think it's interesting reading, but it won't be to many people's taste anymore without first adjusting their mindset.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One-Shot.