Linda Robinson's Reviews > A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach: One Woman's Trek of the Perimeter of Lake Michigan

A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach by Loreen Niewenhuis

Jul 05, 11

Read in July, 2011

I'm glad I started this book on the 4th of July, and I finished it on the 4th of July. Independence indeed! I enjoyed Niewenhuis' solitary walk so much. The months of preparation are left where those months belong: behind. We walk, jog, splash, climb, freeze and sweat along with this extraordinary woman on her Lake Trek. It was terrific to have the map of segments on the back to keep track of where she was, and to commit to memory the spots I want to visit. This is a calm book for such a heroic undertaking, the writing is comfortable like a favorite tshirt. A You Are Here adventure; when Loreen felt spooked by a large carnivore's odor, I looked over my shoulder. Lake Michigan. Alone. Inspirational is too mild-mannered a word.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach.

message 1: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie So glad to hear from Linda that this travel memoir is a good one. I'm looking forward to reading it myself one of these days, and who knows, maybe someday I'll make that 1,000 mile walk myself. I'd like to!

Linda Robinson I'd like to, too, but I'm not sure I'm up to doing it in only 64 days! Maybe Lake Huron. I think it's smaller. I saw Loreen's slide show at the library when she presented - she got really good at taking a picture of herself, smiling, framed perfectly in the shot of the background.