Janina's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, read-in-2011, unputdownable, better-than-expected, adult-fiction, series-lost-interest, given-away
Read from March 19 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy

Could someone please hit me? Why didn’t I read this book sooner?

Why??

Yes, I might very well be the last person on earth to read Darkfever. Okay, maybe not the very last, but you get the point. I feel like the bandwagon has long moved on and I am a little sad I waited so long. It would have been even more fun to read these books together with my Goodreads friends.
But I was sceptical. Almost everyone seemed to go crazy over Barrons and Mac, joking around about having caught ‘The Fever’ and devouring the five books in this series in the shortest amount of time possible. But from what I’d heard, I wasn’t sure if I would like the books – in fact, I was almost convinced that I wouldn’t like them …
What did I expect? First of all, Action Barbie. Let me tell you, I despise – yes, despise – the colour pink and I certainly don’t understand any nail polish obsession there can possibly be – so how on earth should I be able to realate to girly Mac?
Then, that jerk Barrons with his silk shirts? Death-by-sex Fae? Only had me laughing.
Well, I think sometimes I shouldn’t think too much about whether I’d like a book or not and just give it a try! If it’s crap, I can still get rid of it somehow afterwards …

Yes, I soon came to realise that – despite the fact that Mac doesn’t fit in a drawer with my favourite characters – I really liked reading from her point of view. We might not agree on fashion, but hey, who cares? There was the occasional scene where I felt like hitting her over the head with a heavy object for being so straight-forward and not listening to someone who clearly knew more about the Fae than her, but I get why she behaved the way she did. I mean, if I had been told what to do by a rather impolite jerk whom I didn’t fully trust – sorry Barrons, I’m not completely feeling the love yet ;) – I might have reacted the same way.
Yes, Barrons. I can definitely say that he is an intriguing character with a lot of potential. I am not that satisfied with how Karen Marie Moning describes him, though. I mean, he is supposed to look dangerous and alluring, yet he wears silk shirts (!) and his long (!!) black hair slicked back (!!!)? Eew. (Thanks a lot to my friend Jessica for the lovely pictures to accompany this description.) I might just have stick to my own picture of him …

All in all, although there were some small things that didn’t sit too well with me or that I found unrealistic (view spoiler) I loved the atmosphere – the dark, forgotten parts of Dublin, the vibe of the city itself and the suspense. I can definitely say that I felt entertained and actually even creeped out when Mac wandered the streets alone or went ‘on tour’ with Barrons. The mystery and the characters kept me interested the whole time (this was one of those books where I always told myself: “only one more chapter and then I’ll go to bed” but that I ended up finishing really fast and without taking one more look at the clock) and I can’t wait to find out more about the death of Mac’s sister, the Sinsar Dubh, Barrons and the Fae in general. This book clearly is only an introduction to the whole story, and it doesn’t give closure in any way. I wish it would have stood on its own and actually revealed a bit more about the world of the Fae and the mystery surrounding the Dark Book, but well … Book two is on its way :).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

Comments (showing 1-30)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Janina Yes, I am giving in.

Nomes haha. me to :) well, waiting for my reservation to turn up at the library... fingers crossed we love it as much as everyone else.

Vinaya Yay!!! Go, Janina!

Jessica Muahahahahaha!

message 26: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim *waves pompoms*

message 24: by Janina (last edited Feb 24, 2011 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janina Yay, banana! Looking at it makes me slightly dizzy though ;) ...

Jessica wrote: "Muahahahahaha!"

LOL. Is this your evil I-knew-you-would-give-in laugh?

Nomes, I wish I could get more books from the library. I'm not sure if I'm going to like this series, but I really want to give it a try.

Jessica Haha, yes ^^ I'm really curious about your reaction to Barrons *grins*

message 22: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim We don't accept anything less than UNF.

Lyndsey Janina wrote: "Yay, banana! Looking at it makes me slightly dizzy though ;)..."

Oh, by the time you are through with this series and Barrons. You will definitely be saying "Yay banana!"...

And I'm very excited to have another person on the bandwagon. This wagon is like a never-ending-bag-of-fun Mary Poppins style!

Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;) I'm giving in, too! I just gotta read Iron Crowned and Desires of the Dead, and I'm off into Moning's land.

Corinne I wish you luck with this one!!!

Janina Honestly, I actually expected not to like this - but well, I was surprised ;).

~Tina~ YAY'S!!! So glad you liked this!! Great review and it only gets better. Besides the thrid book-last scene, I adored this series and I don't even like UF!

Barrons! <3

Alexa Yay! :D

Tatiana Better late than never, right?:)

message 14: by Liv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liv I'm sure you'll find yourself even more pleasantly surprised with the next books in the Fever series... :) Oh Barrons!!! (more swooning...) ;)

message 13: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F I have not read this yet. Didn't someone dare me to? Hmm...

~Tina~ That would be me, dear one. So...when are you gonna read this then?

message 11: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Eventually..........maybeperhapsoverthesummer.

~Tina~ ~cheshire cat size grin~ overthesummerperhapssoundsgood.

message 9: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Okaaay then.

message 8: by ~Tina~ (last edited Mar 22, 2011 11:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Aww, your just mad cause I dared ya;p You know, you don't have to read it if you don't wanna. Hmmmmm

Janina Hehe Morgan, you don't sound too convinced. What has Tina promised you if you read it? ;)

Tatiana wrote: "Better late than never, right?:)"

True :).

LL wrote: "I'm sure you'll find yourself even more pleasantly surprised with the next books in the Fever series... :) Oh Barrons!!! (more swooning...) ;)"

Yes, I've heard series gets better with each book. Looking forward to reading the next one. It should come in tomorrow ;).

Lora *slaps Janina*

So glad you liked this! :)

Mayomi Great review Janina. I've got to read this book. Stats!!!!!

message 4: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F I am gonna read it, guys. I will.

And I am not mad. If I was mad, I would accompany the comment with pictures of angry llamas.

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic ~Tina~ wrote: "YAY'S!!! So glad you liked this!! Great review and it only gets better. Besides the thrid book-last scene, I adored this series and I don't even like UF!

Barrons! <3"

What Tina said ^^

Janina Thanks Lora ;)!

Actually, I'm quite excited now. Hopefully I'll like the second book as well, then I'll have this new series to devour ;). I'm eagerly awaiting the mail as I type, so I can start the second book tomorrow after my exam :).

Oh, and Nic, your book boyfriend post on Barrons is much appreciated. I like your idea of him much more than KMM's. I'm no silk shirt fan ...

Arlene Glad you enjoyed this one Janina. :)