Becky's Reviews > The Legacy

The Legacy by Gemma Malley

Mar 31, 11

Read from March 29 to 30, 2011

A virus has beat Longevity, the drug that was suppose to make everyone live forever. Now people are dieing again, and no one wants to admit it. Meanwhile, Peter, Anna, Jude, and Shelia are struggling to find where they fit in this new world. Can Anna actually protect her daughter and little brother? Does Jude have a place in the underground since he feels like he has no self worth? And can Peter live a settle hidden life when all he knows is the fight?

I thought this was the best book in the series. I would like to give it 3.5 stars, but not possible. Malley finally seem to connect with the characters. For the first time, they didn't feel wooden to me. Anna finally felt like a real person who had a horrible childhood. She was flat in the other books. Now she has anger and panic and worry. She is obsessed with taking care of the children and it felt very real. Jude always had a lot of self loathing, but now he starts to see his purpose and the struggle to get there really works. Shelia was the main character that didn't seem to have the normal reaction. I thought Shelia would hate Anna for leaving her and have a lot of hate in her life.

I also thought that this book really began to delve into the questions that have plagued me since the first book. Do we have to many people? Should people live forever? Do the youth have something valuable, essential, to give? Can marriage no longer can last because people live so long? Is there a point to life when there is no death? Is being willing to forgive a weakness? And Anna struggles with forgiveness and sinfulness. This issues are not always take as far as I would like to have seen, but they are dealt with.

One of the major problems I have with this book are the inconsistencies. The book takes place in 2147 but the underground has been led by Pip for hundreds of years. But we know from previous books that Longevity is discovered in the early 21st century. Also, the phrasing sometimes seems odd and this makes for a less smooth read for me. The book probably needs another round of editing. Overall, an enjoyable conclusion to the series.

Major questions:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legacy.

03/29/2011 page 62