Mandy's Reviews > Emma

Emma by Jane Austen

F 50x66
Feb 06, 08

Read in February, 2008

I can't do it! I can't finish it! I keep trying to get into Jane Austen's stuff and I just can't make it further than 150 pages or so. Everything seems so predictable and sooooo long-winded. I feel like she is the 19th century John Grisham. You know there's a good story line in there somewhere, and if you could edit out 60% of the words it would be fantastic. Sorry to all the Jane Austen fans-you inspired me to try one more time and I failed!
60 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Shari Isn't it funny how what one person loves, anothers hates? I love Jane Austen. She is my favorite author. I think there are just too many books out there to waste time on the ones you don't like. To each his own.

Kathryn Hey at least you tried! Now go on to reading books that you actually enjoy and I'll read Emma!

Janet Of course, no one HAS to read Jane Austen, but I really enjoyed listening to two books on CD in the car (Just finished Emma; and listened to S&S a while back). The British actress who read Emma really gave the characters personality. She adds the tone and inflections I think it may be difficult to do in our own heads. So, if you ever want to try again - try listening to it, instead of reading it! You really "hear" the humor in her writing.

Brandi I too, also tried. I just can't get into her either. Seemed like a chore to read.

Sarah It seemed that way to me at first too, I took forever to read the first 100 pages, but then it started to get exciting. I have to admit, though, it was my family that eventually convinced me to give it a go.

Bethany I feel your pain Mandy. I was determined to read a Jane Austen book so I spent almost two years trying to read Pride and Prejudice. I almost died. For some reason I am all excited about trying again with Emma. Classics excite me, Jane Austen appeals to me, her plots sound entertain me, but once I open the book, I gag. I'm off to try it again anyway. :)

Bethany take out *sound*, sorry don't know where that came from.

message 13: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy So glad to read your comments about Emma. What a relief that I'm not the only one who can't get through that book. This is my second go at it and I feel like I'm being tortured slowly. I will keep trying, but will read it in between my page turners. It will probably take me a year or so.

Michelle I am also struggling with it. I am reading it in between my books that really peak my interest. I am determined to finish though.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I downloaded the MP3 from my library and listened too it, as there is now way I could have gotten through it reading. Too tedious! Even listening took me five or so days as I had to keep backing up as if I was hyper focused I missed major parts of the story. But I enjoyed it in the end.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate The trouble with Austin is that she and her world re so totally alien to us in our world of 2012 that her characters and their lives are inexplicable to us. The boredom the worthlessness of some levels of society and I hate to say it but the differences in American society and English society. We barely understand one another now how can we expect to understand the lives of almost 200 years ago BUT come and see Chichester Winchester, the Cathedral closes, the small villages with large rectories for those with a rich living and the smallness of life makes the smallness of the novels so much more explicable. Advice. Read Jane Eyre for a more realistic view of English society. I loved Austin in my 20's. Now she irritates!

Erin Try annotated versions of Jane Austen. Just one! Then suddenly amidst the dull lines flashes of genius and humor even vulgarity! How did she address the vicar? How did the dress get slit? (Blush). Who is a fair but frozen maid! (Double blush!)

message 8: by K8 (new) - rated it 5 stars

K8 Emma is an especially difficult novel if you're looking for plot. One of the main points of Emma is the banality of everyday life, such that you become Emma and understand her thinking and sharp remarks. It is a book on a very, very small scale (note how many times the words "little" and "particulars" are used). Emma is a ultimately book about psychology, not plot or romance. I recommend Persuasion or Northanger Abby. Though if you don't like JA, that's okay, too :^) Kudos for giving it a try!

message 7: by Noor (new)

Noor Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.

Saadia Akhtar This book wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. I also have a hard time getting into Jane Austen novel. I often read them when I have nothing else to do- like in a long car ride. You'll be surprised how much you'll enjoy the book once you have nothing else to do.

g.d. ➳ ᴡᴇ ᴀʟʟ ɢᴏ ᴀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴍᴀᴅ Try audio books, that worked for me! :)

message 3: by Gen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gen L Audio books are the way to go for sure. I zoned out a lot but could still follow the story because all I'd really missed was 5 minutes of someone bitching about social status.

message 2: by Ghasaq (new) - added it

Ghasaq Good for you!!! You made it till pg 150!!! I couldn't reach chapter two.. :( I like details but I'm lost with too many fine boring details .. I'm afraid to declare that I'm not a Jane Austin person :(

Laojimmy998 You are completely right about her novels being long winded, but i read them anyways because the plot line is interesting once you get pass all of the unnecessary words. At least you gave Jane a try.