Kaisa's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Mar 22, 12

Read from January 05 to March 22, 2012

2,5/5.

Oh, I feel so ... goodreads rusty. But seeing as I don't want anything more than to get back to my reading roots, I will get my act together and update this shiz.

THIRTEEN REASONS WHY! I did make a review somewhere. WeReadBooks, right. In it I stated that I didn't enjoy the writing style of Thirteen, because it didn't resonate with me.
I also said that I didn't feel connected to the characters, because there was never any true character development.

NOW! Someone commented and said that that was kind of the point. That we didn't get to know EVERYTHING about the girl who killed herself (excuse me and my bad memory) because that's the way it is in real life. We don't know everything about everyone, and therefore everything we say to them can hurt them... because of reasons we don't know.
This is a valid point. And I seem to remember the girl saying something similar in the book. "You don't know everything about me", or something.

But even though I appreciate that in hindsight, it still doesn't change my reading experience. I found the girl to be extremely annoying in her self centeredness, and I found the guy to be amazingly bland and weak minded. There was nothing that stood out for me, except how much I didn't care about any of them.

Wow, I just sounded like the coldest bitch in the world. But hey, sometimes characters don't work. At least not for everyone.
2 likes · Likeflag

Keli Oohhh I love this book!!

Francis me 2

message 3: by Babi (new) - added it

Babi I need read this book, it seems so cool =3

The Bibliophile this is in my top 10 fvaorite books of all time!!

Sarah I saw your youtube reveiw and it made me upset ): i kind of understand though, like i think she should have had some better reasons but ive been in her place and i was in her place when i read this book so it appealed to me more. But i still enjoy how you didnt like bash the book in your video, you were like "im glad people like this" and i like how you respected other peoples opnion's (:

Graci I thought this book was amazing, one of my favs:)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I understand what you're saying, but personally I adored this book.

Vanessa I agree with you completely Kaisa! Finally someone who feels the same way! I personally couldn't stand Hannah, I felt she was a pretty horrible person at points too (won't go into detail on that for the risk of going into spoiler territory) but yeah. Good review :)

Maryam One of my favorite books of all time!