Michelle's Reviews > Hector and the Secrets of Love

Hector and the Secrets of Love by François Lelord

F_50x66
Jan 30, 11

Read in December, 2010

Ok, I admit it! When I first started reading, I thought that I wouldn't finish this book. It took me a few pages to get used to the unusual style (which reminded me of childrens' literature, due to the simple, short sentences and equally short chapters). However, after a few pages I quickly became hooked. In fact, the simple style was actually perfect for bedtime reading, as were the very short chapters.

So, the plot......Hector the psychiatrist heads off on a mission to discover the answer to the eternally baffling question - what is love?. He meets various people along the way and there are a few twists in the plot, which keep the reader guessing. He is searching for the elusive Professor Cormorant, who has diasppeared with the secret love potion, which must be recovered. Hector has left behind his rather tumultuous relationship with his long term partner, Clara, which means that the mission is also about Hector discovering his own thoughts and feelings regarding Clara.

All in all, I really enjoyed reading this book, as it certainly gives the reader food for thought, not just on love, but relationships and humanity in general. At times, the characters (other than Hector) can be a little one dimensional, but generally speaking, this is a thought provoking novel which certainly deserves to be read. So, if you're looking for something a little different, which gently makes you think and isn't the usual boy meets girl love story, then this is the book for you!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hector and the Secrets of Love.