Karen Brooks's Reviews > Bridge of Birds

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart

Jan 30, 2011

I simply adored this wonderful, witty and most beautifully written book! Set in a mythical past, it tells the story of the large and kind young man, Number Ten Ox who, along with a venerable sage (whom he finds lying in a pool of vomit from binge drinking - not the most auspicious of starts to a relationship), embarks on a quest to save the children of his village who have all been felled by a mystery illness. The book then follows the gentle and brave Ox's footsteps and the people (and ghosts) from all stations in life he encounters as he seeks ... Well, i can't tell you what he seeks, that would spoil it - but it's magical; and, of course, what he learns about himself along the way. What I can tell you is that this is one of my all time favorite books. It's the one you pull out and re-read when you're looking to lose yourself in terrific fiction for a few hours. It's delicious and heartfelt and even laugh-out funny on a few occasions. It will also make you cry. A beautiful, amazing tale.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Birds.