VampireNovelFan's Reviews > The Outlaw Demon Wails

The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

Dec 12, 13

bookshelves: vampires, urban-fantasy, demons, elves, fantasy, favorites, fae, mystery, paranormal-romance, witches
Read from December 09 to 12, 2013

I thought it was amazing to read Big Al and Ceri's back story. Oh how far he's come since then!

Merged review:

Loved learning about how Ceri became Al's familiar. I think this is my favorite of the short stories.

Merged review:

Still reeling from the shocking end of For a Few Demons More (Book 5), one has to wonder if the series can bounce back. I can certainly say that it does. About the only way to do it is with more action and twists, and we definitely get it in this book.

Everything you thought you knew about this series and these characters starts to change. Trent is more prominent in this book as well and needs Rachel to travel with him to the Ever-After to obtain an ancient elven sample that could cure his race.

With Piscary out of the picture, we learn more about the new master vampire, Rynn Cormel. While he's not as downright evil as Piscary, he's far from a push-over.

After the end of the previous book where Ceri is finally introduced to her elf kin, we learn that she's pregnant. That's the least of the surprises when it comes to potential for children in this series.

The highlights of this book for me were her interactions with Trent as well as their trip into the ever-after. While he's still a murdering bastard, we do see his walls crumbling a little bit, which only really happens around Rachel for those not in his immediate trusted group of friends and guardians.

The plot surrounding the Ever-After was fantastic as well. We meet a new sidekick for Rachel, a young gargoyle named Bis. He's so ugly, he's almost cute! I also really enjoyed learning about the demon society a bit more. As I've said in previous reviews for this series, it makes the villains so much more dynamic when we can see these parts to them. Demons have their own rules and laws in the Ever-After. While they are ruthless, it's within their own civilization.

To add to that, Kim likes to make Trent really experienced at random activities. We learn that he can drive a stick at the end of Book 2. We learn that he can swim very well in Book 3. Here we learn that he can (view spoiler) It's just some of the qualities that add to the richness of this series as a whole.

This is my favorite urban fantasy series by far, so I highly recommend reading it. While not every book is as good as the next, this one is one of the best ones.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outlaw Demon Wails.

12/09/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/09/2013
6.0% "This is another favorite. Aaaah Minias. I really enjoy this character."
12/10/2013
40.0% ""And while seeing Trent in his tighty-whities would make my decade, I'd found out long ago that I couldn't stay mad at a man wearing nothing but underwear. They looked so charmingly vulnerable."" 6 comments
12/11/2013
63.0% "Trent was such a tool here..." 3 comments
12/12/2013
74.0% ""Trent owed me a thank-you for breaking the wedding up. Him being a drug lord and murderer notwithstanding, being married to that cold fish of a woman would have been cruel and unusual punishment."" 3 comments
12/12/2013
100.0% "Maybe my mother was right. Maybe there was someone out there for me who would understand that there was good stuff to balance out the bad. And maybe by the time I found someone like that, I’d be so kick-ass that no one, not even Newt herself, would dare lay a finger on us."
12/12/2013 marked as: read