Katie's Reviews > Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids

Simplicity Parenting by Lisa M. Ross

Jan 29, 2011

I have mixed feelings about this one. I think overall it deserves the four star rating because it makes many very important points and has a lot of helpful ideas for parents who want to protect their kids' childhood. It is well-written and not at all dry or a difficult read. On the other hand, I'm not sure how to articulate this...I felt smothered by the authors, by the growing list of shalls and shalt nots, by the overwhelming number of things that I ought to be changing and not doing anymore and throwing away and simplifying. That's a bit ironic, to say the least. While in general I think that the ideas are good, and in fact many I have already implemented (some before reading the book), the tone just comes on so strong, it incites a bit of a panicked feeling. The imagery--a child crushed under the pile of toys, for instance--is vivid but perhaps a bit much. I ended up just feeling guilty and inadequate on new and different levels. This is why I almost never read "how to" parenting books.

I have always felt a bit stifled by the Waldorf philosophy when it comes to emotional stuff. It seems like in addition to doing, I don't know, EVERYTHING for them, and having the nature tableau set up, and making sure there's time to dawdle about in the mud and finger paint, I should modulate my personality and emotional life to the hazy pastels of a wet-on-wet Stockmar watercolor painting. I am not a faceless organic wool dolly. I am a messed up human being, with feelings and reactions and biases. As much as this book claims to be about taking pressure off both kids and moms (come on, it's not PARENTS, it's MOMS let's be real here) it seems like just shuffling it around sometimes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simplicity Parenting.

03/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lorena (new)

Lorena Silva I totally get the feeling, it happened to me with my first books on parenting (maybe i have read too many). But by now i feel almost inoculated agains guilt trips brought by parenting books hehe i too feel the waldorf philosophy is a bit stiff and totally unrealistic. I felt this was sort of the softest, practical version of waldorf, without the waldorf "stuff" dolls, costumes, festivals, that sort of thing... I think theres usefull and powerfully transforming ideas in this book, at leats for me, and thats a lot to be said nowadays regarding parenting books.

message 2: by M (new) - added it

M I felt like like that when reading Momma Zen. (I think I need to be more zen when reading parenting books). But I've heard some interesting points from this one--hopefully it's not like those movie trailers where you know all the good stuff before you read it.

My dose for serious parenting books is humor parenting books like Sh*tty Mom.

message 3: by Olof (new)

Olof Eggertsdottir Have you read minimalist parenting? That book totally did the opposite for me. I felt empowered and less guilty.

message 4: by Clareck (new) - added it

Clareck I kind of want to be your best friend.