Cat Russell (Addicted2Heroines)'s Reviews > Unholy Magic

Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: highly-recommend, favorites
Read from February 16 to 18, 2011

"Somewhere in the back of her mind she thought if she kept kissing him, she'd get more secrets, get answers to questions she didn't know she had, and it excited and scared her in equal measure, made her dizzy."

I loved this book! I love living in Chess's (and Terrible's) world!

It's a little surprising the direction that Kane is taking this character in. Instead of showing her improving and battling her addiction, her situation seems to be drastically declining. I was able to grasp a better understanding of just how bad off Chess really is. She describes things like her old, faded clothing and her blanket that is covered in holes because she spends every bit of her money on drugs. It's pretty pathetic. One half of me adores Chess and wants to see her overcome her addiction, but the other half of me doesn't want her to change because she's so damn interesting the way that she is.

At one point in the story you get to experience what happens to Chess when she has to spend one night without a fix. I had considered that maybe it would lead to a start on the road to recovery, but I was mistaken. Even with her many, many flaws Chess is too fascinating for me to dislike. The residents of Downside and the crazed, murderous ghosts that she encounters are equally as fascinating.

I can easily see how this series wouldn't be liked by everyone. Most people don't want to read about a poor, damaged, drug addicted, protagonist who shows no signs of advancing toward self-improvement, but regardless this is definitely one of my favorite series.

I've got City of Ghosts ordered and I hope it arrives soon!

8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Magic.

Quotes Cat Russell Liked

Stacia Kane
“You ain’t know nothing,” a man scoffed. “How I’m supposed to trust some junkie Churchwitch-”

The words sliced through her like razor-sharp fangs. Her face flooded with shame, so hot she imagined it steamed in the icy air. At least it wasn’t difficult to identify the speaker. All she had to do was look for the man with Terrible’s fist locked around his neck.

“Ain’t think I hear you right,” Terrible said in a calm, quiet voice. “Wanna louden up?” The man shook his head His eyes bulged. He looked like a bug, with his hands clenching into tiny useless fists. “You sure? You got else to say, you best say it now, instead of later. Now we got us watchers. Later might not be true, dig?” The man dug.”
Stacia Kane, Unholy Magic

Stacia Kane
“I figure you really wanted me you'd say. Like now, maybe, if you dig. I'll fuckin carry you down your place on a run, you tell me aye, get you on your back afore the next word comes out your mouth. But you oughta have yourself certain, causen I ain't lookin for charity, an I ain't lettin you go after. Once...once ain't enough for me, dig?”
Stacia Kane, Unholy Magic

02/16/2011 page 25
7.0% "Butterfly knives, sharpened nail files and metal pipes. Downside hookers know how to throw down!"
02/18/2011 page 186
54.0% "Chess is finally having a breakdown (thanks to withdrawals). Maybe this will be a wake-up call? I really hated that man calling her a junkie Churchwitch."
02/18/2011 page 254