Alien Citizen's Reviews > Teacher Man

Teacher Man by Frank McCourt

May 25, 07

Read in December, 2006

Also heard this one read by the author on cd. Not nearly as good as 'Tis. I liked hearing about his life and the impersonations of students was somewhat amusing, if not repetitive and grating on the nerves, but I actually felt like this story was a little cheesy. It seemed like he fell back on a lot of cliches of that old standby, the uplifting story of the teacher who makes a difference. I don't think that this was at all intentional and I'm sure that he probably was as honest about his teaching as he was about everything else but it really just didn't interest as much...where was the new insight? The students could have jumped straight out of To Sir with Love...and he was just do disgruntled and depressed about his personal life that, while the teaching was what the book was supposedly about, it really seemed to play second fiddle and it didn't strike me as a story very different from any inner-city teacher (I've been there) and wasn't told in a new way. Basically, I felt like, what's the point? Did he think he was the only one who had these difficulties/experiences teaching? Too cheesy, too (surprisingly) unself-aware. Wow, that was harsh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teacher Man.