George's Reviews > How to Be an American Housewife

How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: lacpl-epub, nook-st
Read from November 28 to December 01, 2011

EXCELLENT AND ENJOYABLE. FROM A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE.

One of the very few, though shabbily weak, benefits to being a man of seventy-some springs is not only to be able to read and enjoy a novel with a name like ‘How to Be an American Housewife,’ without being embarrassed, but in also actually feeling free to flaunt the fact over a social network such as goodreads.com. And they said that senility couldn’t be fun.

It was meeting and chatting for a few moments with its writer, Margaret Dilloway, at a Jamie Ford, author of the incredible novel, ‘Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet’ reading/signing event in Los Angeles that prompted me to add her book to my ‘to-read’ shelf. Ms. Dilloway, herself, made it more irresistible when she related that her, then Navy dad, had really bought an instructional/cookbook, entitled ‘The American Way of Housekeeping,’ written in both Japanese and English, for his Japanese bride, in the 1950s.

Only in America. And only in the ’50s.

I’m very glad that I did (add it to my list), though. It was an excellent and very enjoyable read, offering insights, of love, war, and family, from a culturally different, personal, perspective.

Recommendation: Grandparents, mothers, daughters, husbands, fathers and sons… there’s something warm and engaging here for all.

“There are very few things that bring about shame in America. Americans feel guilt rather than shame.”—page 204

Adobe Digital Editions [ePub], from http://overdrive.colapublib.org/, 220 pages

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be an American Housewife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new) - added it

Pam Hi, George. I'll have to add that book to my list. Did you ever read "Diary of a Mad Housewife"? I read that quite some time ago and really liked it.

George Pam wrote: "Hi, George. I'll have to add that book to my list. Did you ever read "Diary of a Mad Housewife"? I read that quite some time ago and really liked it."

Hi Pam...

I haven't read 'Diary of a Mad Housewife' but will look into it.