Suzie's Reviews > The Night Watch

The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from January 29 to March 18, 2011

If you're wondering if this is like the Bekmambetov directed movies... it both is and is not. The two movies are encompassed by two of the three stories in the book. All of the book is more or less about Anton and the modern Moscow stalemate between the Dark and Light Others (people with powers) in the book. The book has more backstory and less stuff blowing up. The book ties the three stories together neatly. The feeling at the end of the second movie is more open ended. The pacing of the book is slower, which for the most part, is not a bad thing. In the last story there is a lot of waiting around and talking about the state of things, which I found less interesting. I did not have a problem with the pace of the first two thirds of the book. In some ways, this book was like what I expected (but did not get) from Stieg Larsson's books: good story, decent pace, decent characters, decent writing, interesting world depicted in multiple long books. If you like the world of the Watches, in the movies, I would definitely recommend it. But don't expect explosions and lesbian love scenes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Watch.