Jafar's Reviews > Mating

Mating by Norman Rush

Feb 20, 11

This is the story of a cerebral, overanalyzing woman who doesn’t want the mediocre or the nearly-great and sets her eyes on the one great man that she finds. She’s an anthropology student, working in Botswana on a failed dissertation. He’s an overachieving and well-known intellectual who’s running an experimental matriarchal-utopian village in the middle of the Kalahari. She risks her life to get to him – to get to the “intellectual love.” What follows is an insanely good introspective and analytical narrative – not just on her love, but on so many other things.

This is not a typical love story. I don’t know how a typical love story is, but I’m sure it’s not anything like this. This book is long and hard. It challenges your education. It’s told by an erudite woman about her fixation on an erudite man. They’re both exceedingly gifted. They won’t slow down to explain the literary/political/historical/sociological/anthropological/etc. background of what they’re talking about. Not only do you need a dictionary in hand, you also need Wikipedia and Google on standby. Unless you’re encyclopedic like its characters, this book will just go over your head at times. But hang on tough. This is a rare gem worth struggling for.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mating.

Lilly G so glad you liked it! and wow, you read it fast!!!! this one is a novel you work hard for, but worth every page turn.

Jafar Yes, thanks for the tip. What a great book. I knew I should take your five-stars seriously.

Megha I am reading it now, finding a lot to like in here.