Monica's Reviews > Sweetness in the Belly

Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb

Feb 12, 11

Read from January 29 to February 04, 2011

This book surprised me. I took part in a discussion about "Sweetness in the Belly" before i started reading it. The reviews and comments were varied, but i walked away feeling that this wouldn't be my type of book and would just frustrate me. Someone made a comment that the main character, Lilly, didn't really grow, that her character development was never pushed and that she seemed to think and feel the same throughout the book no matter what her age or circumstance. However, i felt that there was a valid reason for Lilly's lack of personal growth. She missed Aziz terribly...he was so tightly wrapped up with Lilly's identity of what it meant to be Muslim living in Ethiopia, to be devout yet at the same time open and willing to question religion and her life. I found myself respectful and envious in many ways of the discipline and structure of the religion that outlined Lilly's every day. The movement back and forth between Ethiopia and England makes it easy to follow the flow of what is happening to Lilly, why she thinks and feels the way she does, and why it takes her so long to allow herself to feel true happiness.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetness in the Belly.