rabbitprincess's Reviews > How to Save the World in Your Spare Time

How to Save the World in Your Spare Time by Elizabeth E. May

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: cadeau, non-fiction, oh-canada, 2012
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: this was a gift from the author
Read from May 19 to June 12, 2012, read count: 1

* * * * 1/2

The back cover of this book tells you that, if you have five minutes, you can save the world. Elizabeth May, now (as of 2012) the leader of the Green Party of Canada and the country's first Green MP, wrote this back when she was the Executive Director of the Sierra Club of Canada. She takes on the overwhelming task of "saving the world" and breaks it down into manageable steps, showing how it is possible for even one citizen to make a difference. Chapters cover such topics as how to choose a goal for your campaign, organizing media coverage, fundraising, meeting with members of government, and more. It also includes some sample media documents (e.g. news releases) and an appendix on petitioning the House of Commons, useful for Canadian activists.

May writes in a friendly, conversational style, and it was heartening to see some of her tips include the human element: "please" and "thank you" are always welcome to hear, and people on the other side of the debate are people too (in more heated debates, this can be very easy to forget). Each chapter also includes a handy "Lessons Learned" section that recaps what has just been covered, and May draws extensively from her personal experiences when fleshing out those lessons.

The only improvements that could be made to this book are slightly more vigilant copyediting and perhaps an updated edition to discuss activism via social media (this was first published in 2006 -- shocking how fast technology advances these days). Recommended for those who are passionate about a cause and want to become involved, but aren't sure where to start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Save the World in Your Spare Time.

06/08/2012 page 85
41.0% "I liked the anecdote about Sting and Gordon Lightfoot."
06/11/2012 page 207
100.0% "That was a faster read than I was expecting."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Stadden This is the same Elizabeth May? I did not make the connection. I am glad I looked up the title. Thanks.