Phyllis's Reviews > The Matchmaker of Kenmare: A Novel of Ireland

F_50x66
Feb 26, 11

bookshelves: first-read
Read from February 14 to 21, 2011

Through his work for the Irish Folklore Commission, Ben McCarthy travels around Ireland gathering stories. On one of his trips, he meets Kate Begley, who makes her living as a matchmaker, connection local single men and women. Ben did not realize how the meeting with Kate would define his life from that time on.
World War II is going on but Ben finds himself traveling with Kate from neutral Ireland into European war zones. He allows her to talk him into an espionage adventure into France to rescue a German man the Americans want and, later, into Germany looking for an American officer Kate married. Barely escaping with their lives each time, their odd friendship bonds deepen.
The Matchmaker of Kenmare is full of unusual characters and is about love, friendship, history, matchmaking, mystery, and adventure. I was totally involved in the story wanting to read what Ben and Kate did next. I loved the descriptions of Ireland; the fighting scenes were suspenseful. It’s a good book to settle in with for a very entertaining story.
I received the book through the First Reads giveaways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Matchmaker of Kenmare.