David Jay's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Mar 13, 11

Read from January 29 to March 13, 2011

A really excellent, though overlong, book. Clarke creates a rich and believable world in 19th century England, where magic is real and fairies are frightening. This book was called a 'Harry Potter for adults' but, aside from the obvious element of magic, I don't think it was like the Harry Potter books at all. Not better or worse, just very different. I particularly liked how Clarke set the book up with scads of footnotes, to coax you into believing that all of this was, in fact, a true story of long ago. And, I must confess, there were moments where I found myself forgetting that this was fantastical fiction.

However, there was absolutely no need for this book to be nearly 850 pages. There are some books that are really long and need to be just that long (The Crimson Petal and the White was just under 900 pages and there wasn't a single wasted word... the last Harry Potter book was close to 800 pages and that length seemed justified as well); this is not one of them. I don't know what Clarke's editor was thinking but I could easily have dispensed with 200 pages of this book. There are so, so many tangents. Most are very enjoyable but carrying this book around for nearly two months broke the strap on my bag and re-aggravated my lower back pain!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

02/15/2011 page 295
03/09/2011 page 683
81.0% "my favorite line so far..."Immediately he became convinced that all of the cupboards in the house were full of pineapples.""
show 3 hidden updates…